Duplicate files with the same filename

We’ve been seeing some ESP32 devices with multiple files sharing the same filename like the following screenshot shows:

This orders.json file is a JSON store, fwiw. Initially I thought that maybe there was a bug with the ListExt command. However, we’ve been running into issues with our devices consistent with data being sharded (?) among several files. Some file names appear corrupted as well. We’re using SPIFFS.

So my question is, could this be an issue with our chips or one with the OS?

1 Like

Hello

Just sharing an experience on this split file in list file long ago. I use eps8266.

First uploading 5 files (1 html then 4 image file) into the esp file system.
Off and on, I need to update the html file (larger size) which was the first file uploaded.
I saw the file broken into 2 part at some point, similar to the screenshot in the above.

My workaround is to create a second partition, not using root/default partition.
Whenever I need to update the html, I simply delete the whole partition and reload all the file to prevent the split.

My assumption is that the SPIFFS is sequential with block. If the next block is used by another file, the file that need to expand in. memory is split to another block which may not be well linked (or never). Correct me if I am wrong.